- working the sign-up tables for the two weekends before the procession weekend,
- advertising the processions through the newsletter distribution list,
- making reminder calls/e-mails,
- staffing the sign in tables on procession weekend,
- recruiting “same-day volunteers” to fill open spots,
- executing the procession itself, and
- staffing the after mass table with pro-life magnets, pins, bumper stickers and other pro-life material.
RESPECT LIFE MINUTES
- Mass For Unborn Scheduled for 1/16/2020 as our initial effort. Betsy has met with key players and set on readings, music, etc. There is a bit of time pressure re short lead times on media due to holidays.
- Website Update Teen New Member Welcome We are excited re our new teen members. Mary and Fatima attended the meeting and discussed the possible use of Instagram (Social Media) and Group Me (Group messaging) to reach a wider (teen) audience. These two applications represent a major opportunity for us and both Mary and Fatima offered to help Karl implement them for our ministry.
Our Respect for Life Ministry will again be putting on the Pro-Life Rose Procession in recognition of the Roe v Wade Supreme Court decision anniversary during each mass on the weekend of January 25/26, 2018.
If you have seen the procession in the past, you know how powerful and wonderful this event can be in reaching people’s hearts.
We need YOUR help to make this event happen. We need at least two people to coordinate each mass for sign ups, etc. Specifically, the coordinators will need to:
1. Staff sign up tables on Jan 11/12 and Jan 18/19 (table in Foyer – no table in Bishop Hall)
VERY IMPORTANT to arrive 20-30 minutes before mass – most sign-ups are from people on their way into mass
| The Difference One Racist Made: Margaret Sanger’s World |
Margaret Sanger, racist and famed founder of the Planned Parenthood organization, is still lauded by many today. Shouldn’t we ask why? Read more…
Respect Life Ministry
2020 Goals and Objectives
Preserving the Dignity of Life
Objective: To increase awareness and knowledge of issues and active participation for the Transfiguration Parish community involving respect and value for ALL human life.
How We Intend To Achieve Our Objective:
- Distribute written materials that provide insight into Life issues. (Pro-Life months in January and October, etc.) (ALL)
- Host guest speaker(s). Use 1-2 minute video interview as publicity. (ALL)
- Update website monthly (KARL PIELECK)
- Publish monthly newsletter. Need backup person to help. (KARL PIELECK)
- Develop Annual Life Calendar with monthly Life events (KARL PIELECK)
RESPECT LIFE MINUTES
- TEEN DASH Was a big success. Filled room for 3 of 4 sessions and 4 teens signed up to get involved in our ministry. Thanks to Peggy, Colleen and Rachel for their active roles in making this a success. Will need 75 “Goodie Bags” next time as we ran out (they were a big hit). Rachel’s testamony was powerfull. Only 2 teens had seen Unplanned.
- MASS FOR UNBORN Betsy met with Rod for liturgy planning and with Ginger re other logistics. Betsy has aggressive publicity plans including church media, Georgia Bulletin, local parish contact, etc.
Is it true that there are consumer products that use aborted fetuses? Short answer: yes. Read the details here and download a list of products to avoid. Read more…
- TEEN DASH Set for 10/27; Betsy to meet with Peggy to stuff handout bags; Mike to get baby feet, HOPE Center materials and Life Savers to Peggy; Rachel Guy with 40 days to help at event; contact Peggy if you can help that night. Karl has prepared trifold and will get 50 copies for bags. The prayer magnets Tim prepared will also be included.
- MASS FOR UNBORN Betsy met with Rod for liturgy planning and with Ginger re other logistics. Betsy has aggressive publicity plans including church media, Georgia Bulletin, local parish contact, etc. Plan is to say rosary before mass and invite Marion Hour members to join us (Peggy).
Pope Francis Formally Changes Catholic Church Stance on Death Penalty, Calling It “Inadmissible” (8/2/2018)
Pope Francis (pictured) has formally changed the official Catholic Church teaching on the death penalty, calling capital punishment “an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person” and deeming it “inadmissible” in all cases. The Vatican’s August 2, 2018 announcement that it had revised its Catechism—the Church’s official compilation of teachings on a wide range of issues—to unambiguously oppose capital punishment also committed the Church to work “with determination” to abolish the death penalty worldwide. Prior to the revision, the Catechism used softer language on the death penalty, allowing it “if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor,” while noting that “the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity ‘are very rare, if not practically nonexistent.’”… Read More “Pope Francis Formally Changes Catholic Church Stance on Death Penalty, Calling It “Inadmissible” (8/2/2018)”
Chad’s leadership in the Respect Life ministry was recognized at the October 2019 Respect Life Meeting, and all expressed their appreciation for all he has done for LIFE. We are so blessed to have him in our ministry!
Mike Northway Presenting Chad with a Plaque of Appreciation!
RESPECT LIFE MINUTES
9/23/2019 COMMITTEE MEETING
· HOLY HOUR STATUS:
-Priests have previous commitments; trying to secure other dates (9/16? or
-Bulletin should have English and Spanish
-Have 5 life intentions for each rosary decade
-Mike to contact Bruce/Judy Goddard re our Holy Hour desires
-Peggy to lead and coordinate with Marion Group
· TEEN DASH:
-Peggy assembling “Goodie Bag” (Trifold; baby feet pin; magnet; prayer; Life
Saver candy; etc)
-Mike to get printer permission, see if heavier stock paper available
-Mike follow with Rachel to be at Dash event
-Need to have updated Respect Life Goals/Objective sheet (Mike to redo for
· Tri Fold:
-Karl finalizing really good product.
RESPECT LIFE MINUTES
- Feedback on Newsletter continues to be very positive…keep sending Karl your articles for inclusion. Karl is well into revamping our website in conjunction with similar parish effort. More to come.
- While the Mass for Unborn originally was scheduled for October 23, we are looking for another date as Rod is not available on that date. Will advise when new date is agreed upon.
- Suzanne and Rachel presented our keychain prayer to 40 Days for Life folks who deferred as they have a full plate at this time with 40 Days kickoff close at hand. Tim suggested we consider refrigerator magnet.
This year’s Pro-Life Essay Scholarship for $1,000 was awarded to Mary Grace Browne, a member of our parish youth group. Congratulations Mary and thanks to all who submitted essays. Click here to read the essay.
In less than 40 years, Gianna Beretta Molla became a pediatric physician, a wife, a mother and a saint!
She was born in Magenta near Milano, the 10th of Alberto and Maria Beretta’s 13 children. An active member of the St. Vincent de Paul Society and a leader in the Catholic Action movement, Gianna also enjoyed skiing and mountain climbing. She earned degrees in medicine and surgery from the University of Pavia, eventually specializing in pediatrics. In 1952, Gianna opened a clinic in the small town of Mesero, where she met engineer Pietro Molla.
Shortly before their 1955 marriage, Gianna wrote to Pietro: “Love is the most beautiful sentiment that the Lord has put into the soul of men and women.”… Read More “Featured: Saint Gianna Beretta Molla’s Story October 4, 1922 – April 28, 1962”
Here is some information coming from the Archdiocese office of Life, Dignity, and Justice.
- Memorial of Saints Joachim and Anne, parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary (July 26)
Saints Anne and Joachim, parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary, are powerful intercessors for all married couples, expectant mothers, and married couples who are having difficulty conceiving, as well as those who are aging. Click here to download a copy of the “Faith and Perseverance” Novena to Saints Anne and Joachim.
- Summer College Night:
Do you have college students home for the summer? Let them know about this event. Note: this event is only open to college students/young adults.
We Need Your Help – The Respect for Life Ministry is planning many new initiatives for this coming year. Come join us and help lead us as we expand our Ministry.
- Planning committee members
- Coordinators of future events
- Writers and editors of committee publications
- Website, Blog, & Graphic support
- Liaison with area pro-life organizations
- Prayer Warriors
- Youth Representatives
Members of the Transfiguration Respect Life Ministry recently were given a tour and briefing at the Pregnancy Aid Clinic (PAC) in Roswell. The Clinic empowers families in the Greater Atlanta area to make healthy life choices related to human sexuality by providing pregnancy confirmation and fertility awareness programs along with pregnancy and parenting educational support. Their Baby Boutique features new and gently used heavily discounted baby clothes, toys and other supplies. More information can be found at www.pregnancyaidclinic.com
ACLU Files Suit to Overturn Georgia Heartbeat Law:
WSB-TV Reports Georgia’s heartbeat abortion law is headed to federal court after the ACLU and other groups filed a lawsuit June 28 claiming the law is unconstitutional. (Read More)
Born-Alive Legislation Deserves a Vote in the People’s House:
Abortion advocates are blocking a vote on the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act in the US House of Representatives.
Michelle Gress, lobbyist for the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, has recently met with your U.S. Representative to urge him/her to join the 201 other Members of Congress who have signed the Discharge Petition to allow a vote on Born- Alive to go forward.… Read More “July 09 Legislation News”
Men and women of all ages, on the pro-life side of the abortion conversation, marched through the streets of downtown Ottawa and funneled to the steps of Parliament Hill for The 22nd National March for Life. Many held signs with written messages that said ‘love life choose life’ and ‘remember the unborn. (Read More)
Click to see a helpful article on how to respond to the arguments of “My body; my choice”?